Tenants Protection Association
About TPA – To protect, promote and advance generally the rights interests, and welfare of tenants in the Christchurch region.
We are here to:
- Assist tenants to know and understand about the law relating to renting and what their rights and responsibilities are.
- Help in working out problems or disputes with landlords or with people you share your home with.
- Provide accessible and appropriate information.
- Provide information on housing options and the pro’s and con’s of different housing situations.
- Promote self-advocacy by tenants and strategies for tenants to seek to resolve disputes themselves, and provide assistance where appropriate to approach landlords, agencies and other people involved in their tenancy dispute.
- Explain the process involved with Mediation and Tenancy Tribunal hearings.
- Assist tenants to identify the issues arising in their dispute and organise these issues in such a way that will enable them to resolve their dispute and, if required, to present their case effectively in mediation, negotiation and the Tenancy Tribunal.
- Uphold the articles of Te Tiriti O Waitangi, as per the document of 6th February 1840 (Maori Text).
TPA provide a free and confidential advisory service, and tenancy education for tenants and agencies in the Christchurch region.